All smoke detectors in your home should be tested monthly. We suggest that you add doing so to your calendars right now! To test your alarm, press the test button to be sure the alarm is working properly.
Here are easy to follow instructions on how to test your smoke detector – https://al.st/2IHs8mn
Should a smoke detector sound, get outside, call 911, and stay outside!
Smoke detectors that are correctly installed and maintained play a vital role in reducing fire deaths and injuries and save lives. If there is a fire in your home, smoke spreads fast, and you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out.
Did you know that:
- Three out of five home fire deaths result from fires in properties without working smoke alarms.
- Choose interconnected smoke alarms, so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Put smoke alarms inside and outside each bedroom and sleeping area. Put alarms on every level of the home.
- Make sure your smoke alarms work. Your family is not safe if they can’t hear the smoke alarms.
- Test smoke alarms every month and replace 9-volt smoke alarm batteries at least once every year.
- Smoke alarms do not last forever. Get new smoke alarms every 10 years.
- When you hear a smoke alarm, you may have less than 2 minutes to get everyone outside and safe
If you have any questions or wish to share an experience, please do so by leaving a comment.
Stay safe, and take care of yourselves and your neighbors!
Joe Gober / District Chief